Turn on your Christmas tree lights with your speaker or display
Tired of searching under your tree for the Christmas lights and wall plug? With any Google Nest or Home speaker or display, and a compatible smart plug, you can turn on your Christmas tree lights with just your voice.
What you need
- A Google Nest or Home speaker or display
- Compatible smart plug
Step 1. Set up your device
Learn how to set up your speaker or display.
Step 2. Set up a compatible smart plug
Set up the compatible smart plug.
Important: Name the smart plug “Christmas Tree” in the smart plug’s app.
Step 3. Connect your speaker or display to a compatible smart plug
- Open the Google Home app .
- At the top left, tap Add Set up device Works with Google.
- Tap the smart plug service, then follow the steps.
- When pairing is complete, tap Back Back to return.
- In the home screen of the Google Home app, select your device.
- At the top right, tap Settings Name enter “Christmas Tree” Save.
Step 4. Plug your Christmas tree lights into a compatible smart plug
Step 5. Turn on or off your Christmas tree lights with your voice
- To turn on your lights, say “Hey Google, turn on the Christmas tree.”
- To turn off your lights, say “Hey Google, turn off the Christmas tree.”
Fix a problem
If you have trouble connecting to the Wemo app, turn off Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth.
From an iOS device:
- Wi-Fi: Open Settings Wi-Fi turn off “Ask to Join Networks.”
- Bluetooth: Open Settings Bluetooth turn off Bluetooth.
From an Android device:
Note: The steps are different for different Android version numbers.
Open Settings Location Advanced settings turn off Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning.
Open Settings Location Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning turn off Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning.
If you need help, contact Wemo support.